Sunday, October 13, 2013

DIY | Geometric Coasters

When I was younger, I thought coasters were the dumbest, most useless things you could buy. As cooler days arrive, I like to keep a mug of tea or water beside my desk to keep hydrated. It was all fine and dandy until those unsightly drink rings kept showing up and I was scared of putting a hot cup on glass...leading to the revelation that investing in coasters might not be so dumb and useless after all. 






Geometric Coasters


(Difficulty: Easy)




Supplies


(1) Template here
(2) Faux vinyl leather
(3) Adhesive foam sheet (I would've chosen adhesive corkboard, but I didn't have any on hand)
(4) Gold metallic Sharpie or gold acrylic paint
(5) Scissors

 photo READYCART.png


Steps



1. Download and trace out the template on the back side of your adhesive foam sheet. Repeat with your leather. I chose the hexagon and the circle because I only needed two coasters, but I've also included a triangle and square on the template.

2. Cut out your shapes from the foam and the leather. 




3. Peel off the adhesive backing and stick the foam to its corresponding shape. Trim if needed.

4. Decorate with your gold sharpie/acrylic paint. I did a color block design on the hexagon and an abstract one on the circle. Feel free to play around with different patterns!


My scrap leather had some odd folds, hence the unevenness on the hexagonal one.

Super easy and (admittedly) useful! No more annoying drink rings! What's your hot beverage of choice on chilly days?

** Don't wanna DIY? Faster to buy? I'll be selling any extras I made, along with many other items, in my shop Two Teaspoons coming soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...