Thursday, January 8, 2015

DIY | Felt Envelope Laptop Sleeve

I was gifted a lovely laptop last September when I started graduate school but clumsy me has been bumping it against walls and such because I tend to carry it by hand. I've been meaning to make a sleeve for it since forever to prevent scratches but haven't had the chance until this past Christmas break. I decided to bust out my cheap $20 sewing machine and was pleasantly surprised that it was so easy to use (the thought of threading the thing kept me away from it for so long lol)! Looking forward to trying out more sewing projects! :)



DIY Felt Envelope Laptop Sleeve

(Difficulty: Easy)



Supplies

(1) Felt (large enough to fit your deviec)
(2) Fabric scissors
(3) Adhesive Velcro
(4) Ruler/measuring tape (not shown)
(5) Fabric chalk (not shown)
(6) Fabric glue OR needle/thread OR sewing machine
(7) Download a sketch of the project here!


Steps


*Download my sketch here to follow along!

1. Measure how much felt you'll need to cover your device, plus a little more for the flap closure.

2. From the bottom, fold up the felt to the size of your device. Make chalk markings on both edges.

3. On the flap closure, make another mark on both edges about 4 cm or 1.5" from the markings you just made in step two.

4. Fold the two corners of the closure flap down and make a mark at the point.


4. Unfold and draw a line connecting the two lower markings with the middle marking.

5. Round the triangle just formed by using a round object as the template (I used a plastic drink cap lol).


6. I drew a line for a seam allowance just to keep my sewing lines straight. This is optional if you're using glue.

7. Sew your seams according to the diagram, or squeeze a thin line of glue along both edges, fold, and let dry. Snip off the corners so they don't bulk up and flip your sleeve inside out.


12. I like to stick my Velcro strips together before cutting so they come out the same size.

13. Peel off the protective backing and adhere to the flap closure. Then peel off the backing of the other Velcro strip and fold down the whole flap, pressing down to ensure adherence.

Don't be limited to just laptops; DIY sleeves for your phone, camera, tablet, etc!


** Don't wanna DIY? Prefer to B-U-Y? I'll be selling any extras I made, along with many other items, in my shop Two Teaspoons coming soon. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! The color of the felt is also very chic! :)
    acreativetrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I.C.! I was particularly drawn to the gray since it's an easy neutral color to match with :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely idea. Great photos and easy to follow along with! will be making this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earlier in the morning, debris was scattered on the ground Marlboro Cigarettes, with an odor of smoke and charred wood throughout the interior of the building Marlboro Menthol.

    Though he doesn't know for sure, Federici, 53, said he believes the fire may have started from a cigarette butt left in an area separating his establishment and the adjoining Court Jester Carton Of Newport 100S.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...