Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DIY | The Knitter's Necklace

As a long-time knitter, I came up with this simple, cheap, and adorable necklace inspired by a skein of yarn. The total cost of this project is mere pennies if you really think about it :)

Although I don't have much time to knit as much anymore (and as a consequence of an unmentionable unfinished sweater...), this DIY is for my fellow knitters (and crocheters!) to wear your favorite fuzzy yarn loud and proud. 

I'm still working on my picture-taking skills since my apartment is terribly dim and I usually blog in the nighttime when there's no more lovely daylight. DIY after the jump!



The Knitter's Necklace

(Difficulty: Easy - Intermediate)



Supplies

(1) Yarn (you only need a little bit so save your scraps!)
(2) Scissors
(3) Jewelry pliers
(4) Jump rings
(5) Chain

 photo READYCART.png
What's ReadyCart?

Steps



1. Cut out a piece of yarn about 36 inches long. I chose a lovely soft peach.
2. Fold the yarn in half, gathering the cut ends together to form a loop at the middle of the yarn.



3. Fold the yarn in half again, bringing the loop towards the cut ends.
4. Let the cut ends hang over a bit.



5. Fold the yarn one more time, keeping hold of the middle loops on one finger and pinching the loops near the cut ends.
6. Hook a jump ring through all the loops near the cut ends.



7. Close the jump ring for now.
8. Hook your finger through the loops on the side opposite of the cut ends.



9. Here comes the fun part! With your finger still hook on the loops, start twisting in one direction.
10. Twist twist twist!

 

11. Keep twisting until it looks like this. Hold on tight to both ends!
12. I used my ring finger to push the coil in half.


13. Allow the coil to kink naturally, adjusting it to the desired shape.
14. Bring the loops from the side without the cut ends towards the jump ring.


15. Carefully open the jump ring and hook the rest of the loops through the very same jump ring to secure all the loops. Close the jump ring.
16. Taking your cut ends, make a tight double knot.


17. Cut off the knot's ends as close as you can to the knot and hide the knot within the coil.
18. Add another jump ring to the other side of your coil and attach a chain to the rings.



19. My chain was actually a broken necklace so I just attached one end of the chain to a jump ring and a lobster clasp to the other.
20. Voila~ a lovely wearable yarn skein!

I experimented with a few different kinds of yarn; feel free to mix & match colors! What's great about the lobster clasp is that you can change out different skeins. Since there are millions of different colors and textures of yarn, you can have a different necklace every day! I actually made some of these into keychains to give out :)

Take a minute to answer my quick poll on the sidebar; do you think it's a good idea to put some of these up for sale? Hope you enjoyed this tute & let me know if anything was unclear!





2 comments:

  1. Wow this is a really creative and lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Hope you get a chance to try it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...