I was sent this Retinol Face Cream from Amara Organics, a US-based company specializing in organic skincare. I was pretty excited to try this out because I had heard that retinol (aka Vitamin A) is good for acne scars and hyaluronic acid helps improve skin collagen, and this is a company that uses mostly organic ingredients! It gets pretty scary when sometimes you can't pronounce half the ingredients in your skincare products so they're pretty much a mystery and you don't know if they're actually good for your skin. So how well did this cream work? Click through to find out!
Description (from Amazon)
- #1 DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED ANTI-AGING INGREDIENT: Retinol is clinically proven to not only work, but continue to work, providing better results the longer you use it. Extensive testing has shown significant improvement in fine lines and wrinkles as well as pigmentation in as little as 12 weeks. Skin continued to improve at the 6, 9, and 12 month marks.
- RETINOL = RESULTS: A tried and true age-fighting ingredient that actually works, retinol is by the far the best thing you can do for your skin to combat the signs of aging. Retinol works on a molecular level to repair skin and stimulate collagen, resulting in firmer, smoother, wrinkle-free skin. Speeds up skin cell turnover, fading discoloration and improving texture to give your skin a healthy glow.
- ALSO GREAT FOR ACNE & ACNE SCARS: Retinol is an extremely effective acne treatment. It unclogs pores to clear up blemishes, reduce blackheads, and minimize pores. Prevents future breakouts by preventing dead skin cells from clogging pores. Also repairs elastin and stimulates collagen to fade acne scars. MOST ADVANCED FORMULA
- AVAILABLE: Our unique blend of 2.5% retinol with moisturizing Hyaluronic Acid, Organic Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter offers superior results with less irritation. Safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and can even be used around the eyes. Natural, vegan, and cruelty-free, we use only the best, plant-based ingredients available, with no parabens, no alcohol, and no animal testing. Made in the USA.
Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower Oil), Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Pentylene Glycol, Phospholipids, Retinol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Tocopheryl (Vitamin E), Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide (Botanical Hyaluronic Acid), Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Oil), Wildcrafted Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea), Wildcrafted Resina Propoli (Propolis), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid.
I was pretty impressed with the clean, no-frills packaging. Glad to see familiar natural ingredients and they so kindly translated the some of the hard to pronounce Latin names of plants.
The plastic pump dispenser is convenient and spill-proof, and gives just the right amount for my face. I can't really make out the very slight scent but it's not overpowering and goes away pretty quick.
The texture slightly thick, decently smooth but doesn't apply as smoothly as other creams I've tried (but that's to be expected as it doesn't have all those lubricants and silicones and whatnot). I like that it absorbs fairly quickly, it's not greasy/oily, and no stickiness is always a plus in my book.
Retinol does increase skin sensitivity to the skin so be sure to apply it at night and wear sunscreen in the daytime! I've used it for about a week and have not had any issues with breaking out or hypersensitivity. It does make my skin pretty soft and firm so I hope that that's the cream talking. I personally would be hesitant to purchase this for $20 but the amount given lasts quite a while and it's would be great for those who have sensitive skin.
- convenient packaging
- dispenses perfect amount
- great for sensitive skin
- natural/organic ingredients (no mysteries here!)
- not sticky/absorbs quickly
- not tested on animals!
- made in the USA
- unscented but the slight "scent" sometimes bothers me
- doesn't apply as smoothly as other creams I've tried
- slightly pricey
Overall, I would give this product a 8/10!